Have you always wanted to get rid of that belly fat, but couldn't? You do sit ups and crunches every day, but nothing seems to change. You know why? Your diet needs to change. Add these to your nutritional and exercise guide and prepare to see the bulge melt away.
There are certain foods that KILL belly fat and others that CAUSE belly fat and belly bulge. Here are some that will flatten that bulge
1. Avocados: These little suckers are loaded with two nutrients that are KEY to killing belly fat: hunger-crushing fiber (11 to 17 grams per avocado), and monounsaturated fats, which studies have shown to actually “spot reduce” belly fat.
2. Peanut Butter: Okay, not just peanut butter, but mostly any seeds and nuts and these are the best: pistachios, walnuts, almonds (or almond butter, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. Why? They keep you full and satisfied for long periods of time, and they’re stuffed with healthy, belly-burning fats and minerals. (Lemme grab my pack of almonds).
3. These Veggies: Turns out certain vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, and cabbage contain special phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinol (I3C), which help to fight against environmental estrogens that can add belly fat. Mom was right…eat your veggies! (but go easy on the cabbage to reduce flatulence.)
4. Omelets: Eggs aren’t bad as some people think. They’re nutrient-dense and loaded with belly-burning protein, vitamins B6, B12, A, D, E, and K, folate, choline, lutein, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, they keep you full for long periods of time. Choose eggs that come from free-range chickens. You’ll get more healthy nutrients.
5. Dark Chocolate: Yep, you read correct. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants with nearly eight times the number found in strawberries and it contains stimulants that can have a positive effect on fat burning, including theobromine and caffeine. It also contains a nice dose of oleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fat. Make sure to choose the 78% or higher cocoa levels for best results. Now who said chocolate was bad for you?
6. Oats: Packed with fiber and whole-grain goodness, you can’t go wrong. Just be sure to avoid the processed, high-sugar junk out there and stick to slow-cook oats. Add a dash of cinnamon, some walnuts, berries, and a natural sweetener to taste. BhAM! Good stuff.
7. Green Tea: Not only does it contain a potent antioxidant, many scientific studies have linked green tea to increased fat burning, including a report that found green tea extract boosted the daytime metabolism of test subjects by 35- 43%. Add some lemon juice or honey to combat that bitter taste that comes with it.
8. Beans: Black beans, navy beans, refried beans, and lima beans all have 6 or more grams of fiber per ½ cup. Fiber can clean your system of pounds of “toxic waste” and reduce your belly bulge in a big way. See #5 for details. (Again, go easy on them beans to avoid farts at the gym)
9. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are loaded with fiber, which slows sugar absorption, and they’re packed with vitamins that can fight cravings. Note: cravings can come from vitamin deficiencies.
10. Cinnamon: Researchers have found that cinnamon contains a type of antioxidant that increases insulin sensitivity and effectively helps to stabilize blood sugar. Bottom line… you’ll store less belly fat. Some also say blueberries. A study which was done on rats found that the more blueberries they ate, the more belly fat they burnt. (Don't really know how effective that is though)
11. Chillies: Studies have shown that the active ingredient in chili peppers and powder, something called capsaicin, increases calorie-burning, stabilizes blood sugar levels which decreases fat storage, and is a potent antioxidant. Add some of this “spice” to your life.
12. Yogurt: Most regular yogurt is bad for your belly. It’s loaded with belly-bulging sugar that you want to avoid. However, Greek yogurts like Greek Yogurt (plain) are loaded with probiotics that fight belly bulge. See #6.
13. Wild Salmon: Hands-down one of the best belly-blasting foods because of its protein and high omega-3 fatty acid content. This is like a “double shotgun approach” to killing belly fat. Many people are deficient in omega-3s and when they add them to their diet the fat can really start coming off.
14. White preferred- but any lean protein source is a good belly-blasting food. This includes wild salmon, free-range chicken, whey protein powders, and most especially grass-fed beef because it contains natural CLA—a fat that studies have actually shown to burn fat. The interesting thing about protein is your body will burn off as much as 30% of its calories after you eat it.
There you go. Eat these foods and watch the belly bulge melt away. Don't forget to exercise.